The Seniors Home Supports Program (SHSP) is an established five district model for coordinating home support referrals through five large senior centres in Edmonton. North West Edmonton Seniors Society is one of the five agencies involved in delivering this program.
The goal of this program is ensure seniors are able to access quality, affordable, suitable and equitable city-wide services.
Home support referrals will be available to anyone that’s 55+ who want assistance in connecting with vetted service providers primarily for:
- Snow Removal-snow shovelling, put down anti-slip material for icy spots (no chipping)
- Yard Maintenance-mowing lawn, spring/fall clean-up, tree trim/removal, pruning, gate install, sidewalk and concrete repair/install
- Housekeeping-vacuum, sweep and wash floors, clean bathrooms, laundry, dusting and clean out fridge
- Minor Home Repair-handyman services, door knob replacement, grab bar installation, electrical, plumbing, painting, fence repair/install, appliance repair, window washing, stair or hand rail repair/install, floor repair, deck and railing repairs, roof/eavestrough repair/install
- Moving Help-organizing, downsizing, and junk removal, moving to another location
- Personal Care footcare, haircare, errands, grocery shopping, etc, medi-alert systems and home and respite care
Here’s how the program works. A senior will call the Home Supports Coordinator for a list of providers for a service, the Home Supports Coordinator will supply a list of three or four service providers and it’s up to the senior to call the providers for quotes and for availability. If more names are required, the senior should call the coordinator and ask for another list of providers. The senior will pay the service provider they hired.
The Home Supports Coordinator will do a follow-up call or email to see how the senior is doing and if the senior was satisfied or not with the service.
All the service providers from the list went through a vetting process before they are referred to anyone.
By providing home support referrals to vetted service providers, this program enables seniors in North West Edmonton to maintain independence and remain in their homes. We also hope this program will function as a touch point to connect seniors with members of their community and senior-serving resources within their area.
Please Note: The SHSP is open to all seniors (55+) in North West Edmonton. You do not need to be a member of North West Edmonton Seniors Society to receive referrals.
If you have questions about the program, or you are a senior in need of home support referrals, please contact:
Kathy Watters, Home Supports Coordinator
North West Edmonton Seniors Society
Direct Line | (780) 482–1958
For more information on the Home Supports Program, go to the website www.seniorshomesupports.com